Coal's image

ITOCHU coal group has been associated with the coal export business in Australia for about 50 years. In 1994, through a coal investment in the Stratford Joint Venture by Itochu Coal Australia Pty Ltd, ITOCHU shifted from solely a coal trading company to an investment and trading company. In 1996, ITOCHU Coal Resources Australia Pty Limited (ICRA) was established as a vehicle to invest in the NCA (Newlands, Collinsville and Abbot Point) project. Since then, ICRA or IMEA Coal Division has been active to acquire coal assets and as a result, it is now involved with 8 coal projects in Australia and Indonesia.

IMEA Coal Investments

IMEA Coal Investments's image

In 2014 (Japanese Fiscal Year), the total amount of production from the mines in which IMEA takes an interest was approximately 46 million tonnes (100% basis).

Oaky Creek Joint Venture (QLD) 20% equity:

The Oaky Creek joint venture (GCQ: 55%, ICRA: 20%, SCAP: 25%) is located in central Queensland and produces premium hard coking coal from two underground operations. Production capacity is in the order of 9Mtpa to export markets through the Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal and Port of Gladstone.

Rolleston Joint Venture (QLD) 12.5% equity:

The Rolleston Joint Venture (GCQ: 75%, ICRA: 12.5%, SCAP: 12.5%) is also located in central Queensland. It produces low ash thermal coal for both the domestic and export markets from open cut operations at an annual rate of 13Mtpa, with potential of further expansion in coming years. Export coal is shipped through the Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal and the Port of Gladstone.

Wandoan Joint Venture (QLD) 12.5% equity:

The Wandoan Joint Venture (GCQ: 75%, ICRA: 12.5%, SCAP: 12.5%) is an undeveloped coal deposit located in the Surat Basin in southern Queensland. Total resources of Wandoan project is more than 3.0 billion tonnes. The project is estimated to produce a minimum of 22Mtpa of export thermal coal when in full operation. Coal is planned to be shipped through the Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal, located in Gladstone.

Cumnock Joint Venture – Ravensworth North Project (NSW) 10% equity:

Cumnock Joint Venture – Ravensworth North Project (NSW) 10% equity:'s image

The Ravensworth North Project (formerly known as Cumnock Colliery) is located in the middle of Hunter Valley region, and produces both semi-soft coking and thermal coal. Through the former relationship with Cumnock Colliery, IMEA had acquired 10% of the equity in the Joint Venture. The remaining 90% is owned by Glencore Coal New South Wales (GCN). Operations commenced in May 2012, and the mine is expected to produce 9Mtpa of product coal at full capacity. Coal is being exported through the port of Newcastle.

Maules Creek Joint Venture (NSW) 15% equity:

The Maules Creek project is located in the Gunnedah Basin of New South Wales and, with 362Mt of JORC Reserves, is one of the largest coal deposits in Australia. IMEA had acquired a 15% stake in the project in May 2011. First coal was railed in December 2014, and the mine is expected to produce 12Mtpa of semi-soft coking/premium quality thermal coal.

PT Suprabari Mapanindo (Indonesia) 19.9% share-holding

PT Suprabari Mapanindo (SMM) is a project to develop coal deposits located 100km south of MGM, with the aim of forming a future mining complex with MGM in the Central Kalimantan. ICRA is holding 19.9% share of the company. Operation commenced in December 2014, producing both semi-hard coking coal and high quality steaming coal.

ICRA or IMEA Coal Division is committed to its continuous growth by increasing coal assets globally.